Being part of the board is a great opportunity to exercise your leadership skills and become even more active in SHPE and the DFW community. As the leading Hispanic STEM organization, you will have access to a wide variety of opportunities to network, build your own personal & professional development, provide strategic insight, & have a seat at the table as a community leader.
If you've been looking for a way to give back but also have the opportunity to develop yourself - running for the SHPE DFW Board of Directors is a no-brainer. As a volunteer board, SHPE DFW's impact is made through the selfless dedication of whatever time is available in any capacity.
Nominations & Election Process
DFW LeaderSHPE Organization
Since 1981 we have had hundreds of individuals volunteer their time to promote Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) to Junior High, High School and College students from diverse backgrounds.
Current Board of Directors found HERE. Role descriptions are below.
Have any QUESTIONS? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
NOTE: When running for the BOD, you will not be running for a specific position. You will be running to be selected by the active chapter membership to be selected as part of the incoming BOD class. After nominations are complete and the top 9 candidates are selected as the incoming BOD, a meeting will be help to decide roles. The existing BOD and incoming BOD will hold a meeting to discuss candidates experience and goals. This discussion will allow the incoming BOD to be assigned a role that best fits their background and set them up for individual and chapter success.
PLEASE NOTE: If you are interested on serving as a Committee Member or Program Chair, select either of the last 2 checkboxes. These will not be on the ballot but a BOD member will contact you regarding the leadership role opportunities within the chapter. If you want to receive additional information prior to nominating yourself or someone else, please contact your BOD member.
- The President shall serve as chairperson of the Board, preside over all meetings of the Board, and exercise and perform such other powers and duties as may from time to time be assigned to him or her by the Board.
- The President shall represent and be the official spokesperson for SHPE DFW and represent the Chapter by maintaining communication with the Regional Vice President and SHPE National Office.
- The President is responsible for all business concerning the Chapter, functions and activities under the direction of the Chapter, subject to the approval of the Board. President will jointly provide oversight as the senior sponsor for Internal and External Standing Committees.
- The Vice President shall serve as the chief operating officer and will assume responsibilities in the absence of the President and serve in the capacity of chairperson if the Chairperson is removed and/or no longer able to serve.
- The Vice-president will jointly provide oversight as the senior sponsor for Internal and External Standing Committees in the developing of plans for duties and responsibilities by the second Board meeting of the year.
- The Secretary shall serve as the chief communications officer and will act as interim President in the absence of the President and Vice President.
- The Secretary shall publish minutes of all meetings, proceedings, and actions of Board of Directors, making proper entries in the book of record, and serving all notices required by law or the Bylaws of the Chapter.
- The Secretary will jointly provide oversight as the senior sponsor for “Internal” Standing Committees in the developing of plans for duties and responsibilities by the second Board meeting of the year.
- The Secretary is responsible for all business filings with the Texas Secretary of State, including but not limited to amendments to the Registered Agent and/or Registered Office or filing Assumed Name Certificate renewals.
- The Treasurer shall act as the chief financial officer and provide organizational budget updates and semi-annual financial reports listing all revenues, operating expenses, liabilities and assets to the Board of Directors. They shall also monitor the collection of funds from SHPE National and corporate sponsorships, the disbursement of authorized funds, and the banking and accounting of all Chapter funds, including reimbursements to Chapter members submitting receipts.
- The Treasurer will jointly provide oversight as the senior sponsor for “Internal” Standing Committees in the developing of plans for duties and responsibilities by the second Board meeting of the year.
- The Treasurer shall be responsible for all financial reports and filings required by the State of Texas and the Federal Government;
Membership serves as the chairperson for the Membership Relations Committee, and is responsible to
- Develop and implement membership plans for retention of current members and growth of new members, according to Board goals.
- Coordinate, manage, track, and evaluate all membership and renewal activities, including new member,renewal, and potential member mailings.
- Work with Committees to develop social programs and services for members.
- Coordinate with the President the General Body Meetings and annual “Town Hall” membership meeting for elections.
Marketing serves as the co-chair for the Brand & Partnerships Committee and is responsible to
- Develop the marketing strategy for SHPE DFW and oversee implementation of strategy across events, in partnership with chairs of all Committees.
- Manage social media presence and maintain up-to-date events and news on website.
- Submit articles to SHPE National for chapter, member, or event spotlight.
Public Relations serves as the co-chair for the Brand & Partnerships Committee, and is responsible to
- Execute strategies intended to create and uphold a positive public image of SHPE DFW by working and forming various relationships with corporations, media, government and public charitable organizations.
- Sell & market the Chapter at various PR events (radio, community events, media) and assist President and Vice President in public appearances.
- Maintain corporate sponsor packet with Treasurer and manage corporate relations on behalf of the chapter.
- Work with Directors to ensure partnerships & affiliations with external organizations are tracked.
Professional Development serves as the chairperson for the Professional Growth Committee and is responsible to
- Oversee implementation of programs and activities targeted at developing leadership and professional skills among our membership base.
- Ensure the Professional Development Committee hosts Professional Development Series (PDS) events quarterly and provides senior oversight of the GLEDA entry-level engineers program.
Community Outreach serves as the chairperson for the Community Engagement Committee and is responsible to
- Create overall community outreach strategy and programs.
- Ensure these Committees hosts at a minimum one (1) Outreach/Community Service event held in January through June per SHPE National requirements on the National Reporting Program.
Directors are responsible for recruiting respective chair positions and committee members, and providing general mentoring and training as needed to committee members.